Upon successful completion of this continuing education course, you will be able to:
- Define and discuss the term pain, including the different types of pain experienced by patients.
- Discuss the etiology of pain.
- Identify and discuss the various medications and protocols recommended today for the care of patients in pain.
- Identify and discuss the new standards issued by the JCAHO regarding the management of pain in a variety of settings.
- Compare the protocols and philosophies regarding pain management found in the U.S. and several other Western countries.
- Identify and discuss the various state, local, and federal regulations relating to the management of pain.