Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
At the conclusion of this course participants will be able to:
- Define ethics and medical ethics, and explain the sources of these ethics.
- Identify how medical ethics impact patient care.
- Recognize new medical ethics issues.
- Apply ethical principles to help improve patient care.
- List and explain the four underlying principles of bioethics.
- Understand the relationship between laws, professional ethics, and professional codes such as the AMA Code of Ethics.
- You will be able to explain the significance of the To Error is Human Report, and identify its highlights
- You will be able to list and discuss key steps that can be taken in the Improving of Health Care Quality
- You will be able to discuss the scope of the problem of medical errors and discuss how they have become a leading cause of death and injury
- You will be able to explain some of the reasons why errors happen, and what can be done to minimize their occurrence
- You will be able to discuss what types of errors can occur and where they tend to occur
- You will be able to explain what is meant by “root cause analysis” and identify the key steps in conducting that analysis
- You will be able to explain the JCAHO’s role in reducing medical errors and identify some of the key steps they have taken to accomplish that reduction